Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing From A Remote Server Using DOS command net use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsynic

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
I setup a computer for a new employee who connects to our finance storage at a remote location. She is using a network printer to print from that site. However, when she tries to print, nothing happens. I tested to see if her computer was connected to the printer by printing a text file and it printed fine. However, when I'm trying to print from a remote location using Terminal Services Client, nothing happens. It just hangs there.

I asked our programmer (we're the only two MIS guys in the organization) and he said he connected using the DOS command 'net use blah blah'? Can someone please tell me the correct syntax for that command and how I can use it to print?

I would not use the 'net use' command at all. Take the printer that you are trying to print to at the remote office and install it on the terminal server. This will only work if you have a dedicated line to the remote location. If you are connecting via the internet or vpn or something else, then this will not work. Depends on your WAN link.

Regards

you can attach a network printer to the lpt1 port with netuse.

net use lpt1: \\comp\prtr pword /user:domain\user

Net use just isn't working for me. I tried everything I knew how. So I just did an Add Printer and connected the remote computer to the network. Again, I connected to the other computer via Terminal Services Client (TSC) and added it there. I was able to print a text document from the computer, but when it comes to DOS stuff, I'm clue less.

Here's the way we're set up:

The office has two Win2000 machines running Novell Client. One of the computers in the office, I'll call Comp1 is connected to Print1 on LTP1. Comp2 shares Print1 with Comp1. Comp2 connects to Comp3 via TSC and uses Comp3's DOS application. Comp2's user wants to print from Comp3's DOS app to Print1. How do I get it to work with no new software (we're a non prof so we're poor). So how do I accomplish that with net use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back