Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Sharing with Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

warpdrve

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2002
US
I have a Canon USB printer connected to my Windows Vista machine (Vista Home Premium. The printer is shared through Windows (my son's XP machine can see it and print to it).

The problem I'm having is that my Intel iMac (running OS 10.4.10 Tiger) cannot see the shared printer. I know for a fact that if the printer was on an XP machine, I'd be able to print to it without a problem (proved that by trying to connect to a shared printer in my office with the Mac).

Has anyone had any experience getting this to work?

Also, has anyone had any positive experiences using a print server (wired or wireless) instead of the situation I've indicated above? I tried out Linksys' wireless print server and, although printing to it wasn't a problem, it did not support bi-directional communications so my printer monitoring features were disabled (I never actually got to the point of trying to print using the mac).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards - Mx

----------------------------------------------------------------
Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.]
----------------------------------------------------------------

You may need to connect the printer using the LPD function. Open your Printer Setup Utility, hold down the Option key and click More Printers. In the top pull down menu choose Advanced, and in the next pulldown menu choose LPD/LPR. Name the printer whatever you like, then in the Device URL field enter:

lpd://(vista computer ip address)/(vista shared printer name)

Then select the printer model, click Add and give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back