Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom1681

Programmer
Sep 4, 2002
GB
We have a PC running XP with an HP DeskJet 5850 connected to it via USB. Now, pretty much every time the computer is rebooted the printer disappears from the printers folder and any attempt to print is met with the message 'There are no printers installed'. To solve the problem the printer has to be reinstalled and all is well until the computer is restarted.
What is going on here? Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?
Thanks in advance.

It could also be a faulty USB cable had the same problem on a machine at a customers site, I updated the printer driver and the motherboard usb drivers still the printer dissapered eveery reboot, eventually we changed the cable and the problem stoped.

RPC is failing, go to your services and restart RPC and the print spooler, look again for your printer.
You need to install the latest service packs, and make sure you dont have an HP and a LEXMARK running thier respective services at the same time...
There are lots of reasons for this, but this has been the most abundant for me....
I have had to do a complete re-install, and on one pc, made a short-cut to restart the services because the user didnt want a re-install....its mostly WIN2K, but XP has had some issues as well..
A utility like WinFix V2 may help, because it rebuilds your winsock config, and that has also been an issue, especially after blaster, and like worms.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

Thanks for all the responses.

The plug and play service is running and I followed the instructions in MS KB Article 298370 but the problem still reoccurred.

Haven't tried a new cable yet but this shouldn't cause the printer to disappear should it? It doesn't disappear when it's turned off...

A couple of times I've tried to reinstall the printer it's said it can't because RPC isn't running. When I check, it is running but can't be restarted (nor can it ever).
The PC has SP1 and all critical updates installed - is there a non critical update related to this problem? There is no Lexmark or other printer software installed on it.
Couldn't seem to find Winfix, do you have a URL?

Any more ideas?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back