Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Control Error -- Explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanne

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
GB
I have a PrintControl error that I had not noticed until it started happening quite a lot. I'm getting the following notification:

The description for Event ID ( 40057 ) in Source ( PrintControl ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): 46, \\NT4SERVER2\HP4550N.

Looking back in my log, I've got this every so often for various printers on my network. But, suddenly, it's happening quite a lot with this printer. For example, just today, there were 46 occurrences of this message between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. today!

Can anyone tell me what this message means and/or how to fix the problem?

Thanks!

You may have to go to Northern Technologies for support on this. The error message doesn't tell us what's going on--just that there's no error message! Before you can fix the problem, you need to know what the error is.

Either the 4550 or PrintControl generates an event, which could be an error, a message about a quota, or anything. The Event Manager in NT goes to the PrintControl manager and asks for the message text which corresponds to Event ID 40057. There's no such text, so you get the 'Description not found' message. Two variables were passed which were intended to be inserted in the boilerplate message text: the path to the printer involved, and the value 46, which could be anything, although if it is a 46 error on the 4550, I'd expect it would show up on the printer's display panel.

This might be a version problem: perhaps your version of PrintControl doesn't have the message text for this event, but a later version does. Northern may be able to tell you what's happening based on the event ID, and whether an upgrade will show the correct message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back