Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary disk boot failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordisecours

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2004
CA
Hello everyone,

I replaced a HD in a celeron 333 with 256MB with a new Western digital 40GB,install XP pro, everything goes fine for 2 weeks and trouble begin...once a week ...

the BEEP (one) post is there
Bios recognize the HD ...no problem
Bios recognize the cd and the cd-rw
system wait about 20 secondes

and shortly after ..."PRIMARY DISK FAILURE"

It happen about once a week , we checked ide-cable and power cable, replace it with the cd and cd-rw cable , change ide channel...I change the power connector from cd to HD

When I arrive on site, Open the cover and switch it on, it is ok ... , I remove everything (except the MB) ,

I suspect the HD , is does some squirp noise sometimes when it reproduce the problem... but not enough long to ear at 100% it is the HD

Any Suggestion ?

..._ - _ - every trouble shooting begin with power ON !! we always forgot one day. :) HAVE A NICE DAY.

Hi,
I would backup all the stuff needed from the hard disk and go to WD's web site, download the diagnostic software and check the hard disk out.

Regards

Since you're using a 333 celeron, the hardware (mobo and proc) is 7+ years old. The problem could be an IDE controller failing. I have seen that same symptom several times on old hardware. Find an updated driver for the controller and install it. Have you checked device manager?

thanks for the replies,

I downloaded the software from WDC , a question does this software can tell me something wrong if the PC boot well ?

I Will check in device manager, but like above , I suppose I will see everything will be fine if I can access that point (When PC boot fine ) no ?

just a reminder , the PC boot fine 10 times a day for average of 4 days , and when it decide to do the problem, it do it once and after he maybe well for another week or around that ...

I will go on site in some days , I will give you results, thanks again.

..._ - _ - every trouble shooting begin with power ON !! we always forgot one day. :) HAVE A NICE DAY.

The WDC software will make a bootable diskette which you then boot to. Make sure the pc is setup in BIOS to boot to the floppy first. Then it loads its own software and will prompt you for an acceptance of its terms, etc. After running the test (do the recertification test), it will tell you if there's anything wrong with the HDD, but I'd bet it's other hardware causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back