Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPTP problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkR800

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
GB
OK, might not be exactly the right forum as this question goes a little beyond just TCP/IP matters, but I REALLY need an answer!

To cut a very long story short, it seems that Motorola SURFboard 5100 broadband cable modems are incapable of passing Microsoft PPTP connections. Can anyone prove me wrong on this one?

I have elimated everything to do with firewalls, etc. and have also had it confirmed on another two 5100s using the same ISP that PPTP connections fail. It is not related to the ISP, as a Motorola SURFboard 4100 cable modem via the same ISP works fine (verified in two separate locations). The 5100 modem will pass VPN connections using VPN client software (e.g. Cisco, which used port 10000) but it will seemingly not pass MS PPTP (port 1723) or IPSec connections.

Has anyone had any sucess in doing this? The ISP refuses to comment on VPNs other than saying they allow them, and Motorola have discontinued support for the 5100 and state that queries should be referred to the ISP.....so basically a big circle where no-one is interested in helping.

Cheers....

Posted it over there, cheers for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back