Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply replacement 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2000
US
Howdy all,

A friend I've been helping out just had his PC "die," by which I mean it just physically won't power up any more. Press the switch, nothing. It seems pretty likely that his power supply is kaput, but I'm far from an expert when it comes to hardware.

His PC is from one of those "reassembled parts" online places, and is not under warranty any more.

So, 2 questions:

1. If the power won't go on at all, is it safe to assume the power supply is shot, or are there other possible causes?

2. The power supply is a "L&C Technologies Switching Power Supply LC-300ATX." How easy is it to find/purchase/install a new power supply?

Thanks,

Steve

Does your friend her nosie from the power supply? OR from the hard drive spinning up? If no, I'd definetly say the ps is dead. Time to replace it.

If your friend lives near a computer store, they should have a power supply. HAve him remove the ps and take it with him/her to the store and have them match it up with at least the same power output (if not larger). Then reinstall the new one. Not really a big undertaking.

Are there other considerations other than the specs of the supply? For example, could certain supplies be the wrong size, or what have you? Or are they pretty much standard, so just get one with the right power specs?

There are several physical sizes and several ratings.
You may find that it is cheaper in price but more costly in time to replace the case and power supply at the same time rather than trying to replace just the power supply.
There may be issues that would make this choice wrong, such as a fixed I/O plate that couldn't be swapped.
And if you go the case route, get one with a standard sized power supply so you don't fight the battle again.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I seem to rember seeing this PSU fitted to some cheap cases we used to sell, I'm pretty sure this is a standard ATX form factor unit with nothing special about the size
L&C Technologies Switching Power Supply LC-300ATX is a cheap "with case" generic unit so any standard branded ATX unit will fit.
A cheap alternative would be a Qtek, doesn't matter about the wattage but 350 or over desirable, possibly twin or big fan type.
Hopefully, fingers crossed, your old unit hasn't damaged anything else when it failed.
This is a percentage diagnosis, other things could cause a dead unit ie: blown power lead fuse, loose connector to mainboard, front panel power switch broken etc.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

you must also remember to use a psu with the proper power rating (wattage) depending on what hardware you have. here's one site that can compute for you (more or less) the power rating you need. js custom pcs

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

If an Antec PSU is available at your nearby computer store, and that it fits physically, go for this brand!

Thanks everyone for your help. Haven't looked at this much, but I will now that Christmas is over!

Just one more thing before you go, as it is an ATX, there may be a power switch on the rear of the power supply, check to make sure it is "on".

pc.gif

Jomama

If there is a quick power outage (1 second), some power supplies will latchup and refuse to turn on again. Unplugging it for a few seconds usually fixes the problem. Give it a try if not already done.

Yes, Jomama46 has a good point. Make sure the switch on the back wasn't accidently set to the off position and that the voltage is properly set.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Has anyone checked the power cord? I did three calls one time, for an intermittant power cord. The monitor and computer usually have identical power cords. First, make sure the monitor shows an power indicator light when on. Switch power cord to computer and see what happens.

Also, it could be a bad switch. I have encountered more of those than bad supplies. If you open the case you can remove the cable and use a screwdriver to close the circuit on the power switch pins.

OK, we tried booting this machine with a different power supply, and it worked fine. So, it looks like replacing the power supply is the way to go.

Recommendations for where to go online for power supplies? The only local store I have is CompUSA, and I can't stand buying from them, particularly because of their miserable return policy.

I'm very worried that I'll buy the wrong thing.

Thanks,

Steve

Also, will give you a full list of online dealers, but double-check their approval rating before ordering.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Well, I grabbed an Antec 350-w ATX unit at the local Circuit City (nice return policy). I installed it, and it works like a charm.

So, many many thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back