Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power, but NO RESPONSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Systemcrasher

Technical User
Jul 11, 2000
US
2 days ago I had a cable modem installed. I have a AMD700, 128MB RAM, 5GB Hard Drive,FIC motherboard. Shortly after I had my new modem installed, I tried to shut my PC down. I received the dreaded &quot;FATAL OE exception error&quot;, thinking it was nothing I continued to shut down. Now the PC will start (power and running,CD ROM and floppy drive are working), but Win98 will not boot up unless I completely turn off the power to my PC (unplug it) and turn it back on! Once up and running I have no problems. I can't contact the manufacturer because there are ten, Microsoft (hee hee are you kidding?), Comcast says its a OS problem, Microsoft insists its a Comcast problem, the installation team insists they don't know, and my PC tech says its AOL (I still have AOL5.0 on my PC)!!!! Can someone PLEASE help me...<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Michael<br>

What bothers me is the need to actually unplug the system. Did they put a NIC in the machine? If they did, try unplugging it from the modem and do a shutdown/restart. If that doesn't work, remove the NIC from the machine and try it again.<br>I'm a little unclear of what you mean by WIN98 won't boot. Do you mean it hangs partly into the OS load, or it doesn't even make it past the POST. <br>If it is the latter, I would place the issue with the installation team as a hardware problem.<br>By the way, the Comcast interface softwate sucks and has causes many problems (i.e. GPFs) for my clients. Tell them you want it configured manually for straight IE or Netscape. It takes a little more talent, but wreaks less havoc with Windows. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back