Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

it1968

MIS
May 6, 2005
US
Hello,
I am using sniffer pro 4.7 on my network. I am monitoring the port that connects to my firewall. Is there a way I can tell the utilization percentage on that port so I can calculate percent utilization on my internet line
Thank you

I like using the History Sample report under Monitor. Make sure to change the interval to every second or whatever you want.

'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

Also, If you want a quick sample. Do a capture and look at the bytes per second on the statistics tab.

For long term utilization tracking, and if the switch is SNMP-aware, use MRTG (
Patrick

Patrick Bartkus, CCNP, CNX, SCM, RHCE Sr. Network Engineer
GA Dept of Labor IT Network Services
If truth were not absolute, how could there be justice?

hi jdeisenm,

In the statistics tab, what is the difference of the following to each other?
Total bytes
Bytes per second
ip bytes
tcp bytes
udp bytes

I am particular in knowing the average traffic utilization of my server with 100mbps connection.

I use bytes per second x 8 to get bits per second.
Then I compare this to the theoritical 100mbps.

What method are you using to capture the traffic?
span/mirror
hub
passive tap
full duplex pod
other

I use span a vlan where these servers are connected. then I use sniffer's ip filter to monitor the client's server then to any.

Can you recommend tool in sniffer i could use to monitor the port of the client server? and also can be easy to analyze?

Thanks..

Connect the monitor port of the sniffer to the switch where the server resides. The span the port instead of the vlan. They you will be seeing almost an excact copy of the traffic the server sees. Then you will have port statistics. Patrckb is right use a 3rd party tool like mrtg (which is free) to monitor ports long term. It's worth the time to learn. Orieley has an snmp book with some mrtg basics. That helped me in addition to the web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back