Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pocket Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

JZII

Technical User
Jan 26, 2001
SE
Is there a pocket Access application for PocketPC?
Because in the Activesync option there is an option for Pocket Access....but where is the application.

Thanks JZII

See this link below. Apparently there is no Pocket Access! I am also baffled why it is in the activesync. But I like the idea of putting pressure on MS.

Does not help seeing that i just purchsed an iPAQ with CE 3 days ago and the Microsoft site has not been available in these 3 days! I still wonder if there is such a thing a Pocket Access!

There is no Access for PocketPC's. The option exists in ActiveSync to convert Access MDB files to PocketPC CDB files (and also to sync data between the two files).

CDB files can be used with Embedded VB or VC and ADOCE for data storage in custom applications (I'm currently writing a couple).

Hope this helps

Karl

Karl,

I have just started developing some application in PocketPc. I don't know how to connect it to Access DB. My requirement is as below:

On the desktop the Despatch sheet is available on Access database. When I connect the pocketpc to the desktop, it should read the access database and download the today's data on the device.

Once I have the data on the device, I will use a barcode scanner to scan the data from the goods actually received and match the productcode and qty and store them on my device against each productcode.

At the end of the day, I will again connect the device to the desktop and will tranfer the data back to Access db.

How can I achieve this? I am using AppForge's MobileVB tool to develop the application.

Please help.

I thought I would let you know that pocket PC does exist but not for Windows CE it was originaly designed for the mini computers, I have yet to find any facts that indicate that Microsoft plan on transfering it over to Pocket PC.

Why is it in the Activesync options? well from what I have found out Kalp is correct it is only there to covert Mdb files to cdb files and vise versa.

Hope this helps you understand a bit better,

Heh, I remembe the fun with pocket access.
Here is the deal, Pocket Access runs on Windows CE 2 (maybe 1 as well). To my knowledge there was never a version released for PPC 2002, so while you still have the tie ins from the eVC and eVB, the actual application does not exist for the newest versions of the OS.
Example of a system running CE 2.0/1 HP Jornada 720
Example of a system running PPC 2002 HP Jornada 520

The reason activesynch supports the conversion is because originally with CE 2 you could not connect to a remote database even if you had a wireless or LAN connection unless you wrote your own client/server app's and let the server do the real weork after passing it an SQL query (trust me, that was not fun). Since there was a version of Access running on CE 2 than ActiveSynch supported it and in fact every link in a search for remote database updating said "1: Write the data to a local database file on your handheld. 2: Put handheld in cradle 3: Synch the database with the one on the desktop." Hmm, thats remote?

Sorry for the long babble, reminded me of all the fun I had with that appln.
-Tarwn ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------
Reverse Engineering - The expensive solution to not paying for proper documentation

I, too am just getting into CE development from the old-school of VB6/ADODB/Access... Is there anyone out there that could give us "newbies" some script examples of connecting/manipulating data in a .cdb database with whatever passes for ADODB in this new environment???

'Twould make my day
[2thumbsup]
------------------------------------
[yinyang] 18 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back