Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planner Interaction with Project Managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicchris

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
GB
I'm interested in methodologies and techniques applied in other organisations with a view to best practice. My role is that of a planner within the Projects & Services department of a multi-national organisation. I'm charged with planning for 12 project engineers only 4 of whom are based on the same site as me. The role is actually a new position created specifically to remove load from the project engineers. So far the role involves compiling MS Project programmes which are then "tossed over the fence" to the projects people who only return if they require a modified programme and can't handle it themselves. My aim is to make a far more interactive role of this position with greater input and into the projects thus removing more load from the project engineers. There appears to be a certain amount of resistance to this which I plan to overcome with innovative and practical solutions, hence the request for methodologies and techniques.

Personally, whenever I deal with projects of any sort and size, I take a simplistic approach to it. I am constantly dealing with other project mangagers, from different companies, and from our own, each with different views on how things should be accomplished. As a rule i try and find the strengths in each individual and tailor tasks to their stong suits. Usually I receive less resistance that way. It also helps to get to know the individuals from those people who have been around them for a while, since your position is a new one. I find if people believe you to be genuine, then they are less likely to feel like they're in a corner. I hope I could be of some help to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back