Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinging 2 devices connected to switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

iDio

Technical User
Dec 23, 2015
PT
hey there,

i have 2 devices connected to a switch, that is connected to my computer.
IP's device 1: 192.168.0.180 device 2: 192.168.0.170 computer 192.168.0.175 . subnet masks 255.255.255.0

is it possible to ping from computer to check if device 1 is connected to device 2 ? if i ping them the "usual" way they respond. But i wanna know if they are connected between them..

i tried "tracert -S 192.168.0.170 192.168.0.180" but it says that it is a non valid ip adress.

Cumps

Sounds like you are in need of a network monitoring software that allows you to see network traffic.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

i already used angry ipscan but it only shows the ip's ( that i already know ). i "simply" want to know if device 1 and 2 are connected between them..

dunno why but i tried : ping -S 192.168.0.180 192.168.0.170

and the prompt says that "PING:transmit failed. General failure". idk what it means..

Define what you mean by connected.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

via ethernet crossed cable, with a switch. yet, all of them with static ip.

and "connected" as if they can send messages/commands between them.

The only way to tell if two devices are "connected" is if the device has an indicator (light or software) to tell you, or sniff the traffic to one of the devices and you can tell by the packet if they are sending data back and forth to one another. Wireshark is good for this. You can span the device switch port to your PC port and sniff the traffic.

@robertjo24 i already have wireshark. but how do i "sniff the traffic" in order to know if they are connected? ty

edit: from 192.168.0.170 -> "64 Who has 192.168.0.180? [ ETHERNET FRAME CHECK SEQUENCE INCORRECT ] " well i guess they are not connected. :/

What are you trying to achieve at the "application" layer

I'm sorry but without knowing what you are trying to do in a whole hell of a lot more detail, we are guessing. I'd also add (non critically) that you are in great need of a simple book on networking.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

no problem!
device 1 is supposed to send hex values to device 2 via tcp/ip. that hex sequence have the values that define the whole commands that device 2 needs to refresh the internal values.
i know that the sequence is right cause if i send them via PacketSender they refresh the internal values.

device 1 is programmable and i can set the Network client properly. Host adress, port number and so on.. device 2 is set to receive new clients with FIFO principle.

i know the principles of networking.. but this is giving me errors that aren't suppose to happen.

update: after a few minutes looking at wireshark, i saw that device 2 is responding to computer requests. but it doesn't answer the device 1. how can it be? did i configure something wrong?

all i have to do is set the ip's, subnets , ports and it should work. i mean, the commands i sent via packetsender are the same the device 1 sends.. and i only have to configure that too.
anyone knows if packetsender opens connection somehow different?

well, just to close the topic, i finally did it. the string was wrong, cause the same way packetsender does, we have to send a "mixed" string, with the values of the starters and so on in hexadecimal, but the data values in ascii. once the full string was "wrong", the connection wouldn't open. thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back