Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ping -a host resolution issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knackster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2007
US
Let me pre-emptthis by stating I very rarely have to get in to dns or have dns issues.

WIth that being said: I've got 2 dc's with win2k3 r2.

Now, I've added a couple of a records to my forward lookup zones for a few routers and my firewall.

The entries show up as:
router-core host(a) 192.168.1.1

and the rest are similar.

Now, if I do a ping -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx some of them do not resolve to the host name assigned in dns.

If I ping them by host name, they resolve to the correct ip address. The entries have replicated between servers and I have flushed my dns cache on my pc.

What is so obvious that I am overlooking?

Thanks guys,

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

Hello Chris.

If you are running a ping -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (via IP address) you will need to add a corresponding PTR record in DNS otherwise it will not resolve by name via the IP address.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I'll check that when I get in the office in the morning.

I knew it was probably something simple like that....

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

Solved the problem.

The names that weren't resolving correctly had a hyphen in them. For example:
Main-Router

After I changed that to MainRouter, all is good.

I don't quite understand why it doesn't work as I have my pc naming as "firstname-lastname" and they resolve fine.

Anyone shed light on this?

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

lol

So I made the changes and the only one that seems to work is the router name on my local subnet.

The others on different subnets still do not function.

Why is it always the little things?

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

OK this is it!

If I would have dug a little deeper, I would have noticed in my reverse lookup zones that I didnt not have those subnets added.

Once they were all added, everything came to life.

Thanks for listening guys. When you have a one man IT department, sometimes you have to turn to the forums to talk your issues through.

Happy Hump Day.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

I think that's what mantastic36 was trying to tell ya. Glad you got it figured out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back