Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 360 Warming Up / Initializing loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

KozmikKat

Technical User
Nov 9, 2004
GB
I have just aquired a Phaser 360 and have the following problem:

Well, a bit of history first:
This is the first time Ive had one of these printers so I probably did not know what I was doing, anyway, When I powered it up, it took ages to warm up (normal, I know) when it did eventually get to the Ready stage I printed off a few test sheets, only 12,000 odd sheets and WOW! what quality!
Next it told me the Maintainance tray needed replacing. Damn, I thought, where am I going to get one of those at 11pm on a Saturday night? So I had a look at it and there was plenty of oil left and the only thing to tell the printer that it is "empty" is a black piece of felt at one end so I "rewound" the felt back to somewhere in the middle and I thought I shall order one on eBay so I can replace it later. I put the tray back in the printer and then the printer informed me it was out of ink. I could not really melt a load of crayons :) so I ordered a set from eBay. A few days later they arrived and I installed them.

Now the problem:

When I switch on the printer, it will flash up INITIALIZING and then WARMING UP and it will stay on WARMING UP until about 35% where it changes to CLEANING. I can hear the vacuum pump running and the printer deposits a load of ink into the maintainance tray. I then hear a high pitched whine at 89% and a shorter one at 95%. The printer then goes back to WARMING UP at 97% and at 99% it will display MELTING INK. After a while it will display 100% and go back to WARMING UP and run fast from 35% to 100%.
It will then display INITIALIZING and WARMING UP and every now and then I can hear 6 clunks from the left hand side and a short whir from the right side. It will do this for days in a continous loop without getting to the READY stage.
No error messages are displayed.

Can anyone help? Please, its driving me mad!

OK its got somthing to do with the DM cam but not sure what.
I was tuning it and it suddenly worked! But I am not sure what to do next - it does not look worn or broken.

It is the dm clutch that is causing your problems. It is slipping and this will cause ithe printer to do teh continuous loops of warming up and initializing. Ideally the clutch needs replacement, when we replaced them we also put a spring washer that was designed for it behind it to help keep it from slipping. You may be able to take it off and clean it with alcohol and reinstall and it may work for you. If you need to replace it the p/n is 401071001.

Any idea where I can get one from? I am based in the UK.

Most probably the printer is (almost) out of ink ja the last piece is jammed in one bin. Fill all bins - I did, it helped.

If you buy a new printer, and even though there is lot of ink, and same happens, it may wait for paper in aux feeder
(this happened to me too with another printer).

Ari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back