Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDC joining new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

willscarlet

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
GB
I have a PDC in London with domain name "UK" and a second PDC in New York with domain name "US". As of Tuesday morning I have a VPN connection between the two LANS.

Each PDC is running its own copy of exchange 5.5 but I want the "US" users to have the same employee@companyname.com email address as used in the "UK". US users currently have employee@companyname-us.com addresses.

I know I can do it by rebuilding the NY PDC as a BDC in the UK domain and then re-install Exchange Server choosing to join an existing site, but can I achieve my objective without going to all the trouble of a rebuild on the other side of the Atlantic? I wondered if I could demote the US PDC and have it join the UK domain and then just re-install Exch 5.5.

I have checked for other threads but none that I came across covered this situation.

Hi Will !

Tricky question...

If I remember correctly, demoting the US PDC is easy, but changing the domain on an NT 4 server... i cannot rember if this is possible..

If i were to do this, i would bring down the US server and re-install it. I know that it is not easy, but i would do so if it is possible. If you do this it *should* be easy to join the exchange domain in uk

If you only require the employees to have a user@company.com addres you could create the addresses on the uk server and configure this addresses to forward the mail to the user@company-us.com mail address.

Hope you can use some of this... (on the other hand, a trip to the UK is not bad.. ?)

\Lars

---
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogic, with just a little more effort.
---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back