Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCanywhere LPT1 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbosko

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
Host:
PCanywhere host
HP printer driver installed
Foxpro DOS app

Remote:
PCanywhere remote
HP printer driver installed
HP printer attached

At our home location, we have a Foxpro DOS application installed on a PC which is running the PCa host. The remote logs in and uses the app. The problem is that the program only prints to LPT1.

The PCanywhere host that I have configured does allow the remote to print to their home computer - so long as its from a windows application.

But since the DOS app must print only to LPT1, the PCanywhere driver prints to the 'pcaw.prn' port. How can I trick the host into thinking its printing to LPT1 but have it route to the pca port??

I have tried sharing the printer and NET USEing it to LPT1. I think this should work, but its not.

Does this make any sense??

What PCA versions are you running?

Will the printer print under dos? (a lot don't).

I use PCA a lot and my advice is...DONT PRINT TO A HOST FROM A REMOTE.....

Ken F

Version 10

I got the printers working, well, most anyway. Right, some don't print via DOS.

Don't print to a -host- from a -remote-. How about some reasons why then? Its printing now, and working. Thats a blanket comment that I'd like to hear reasons for.

Mike

Hello there:
How did you get your printer to work. I have a similar situation with my xp host and xp remotes and pcanywhere 10.0.?? The dos application prints to lpt1. Before on win95 and pcanywhere 9.0 no problems printing. Now it's a different story.

Thanks for any ideas

epnico

Its still a mess really... I setup a print driver here on the host machine, matching that of our remote site. I have the remote user ensure that the printer driver (on the host site) is the default printer. They print on the DOS app and it goes to the host driver, then gets routed to the remote driver, then the printer.

Its only working off and on....

Now, if only I can rid of this dang black screen when they log in... one problem after another...

Time to install terminal services I guess.

-m

Watch out for printers listed in the Tools | Options / remote printing tab....

"Watch out for..." why? details?

I have been having a similar remote printing problem for a week. I was hoping if you solved your printing problem, you could help me with mine. I am running Windows XP on my remote computer with a Lexmark X5100 series All In One Printer attached. On my Host Computer I am running Windows 98. My PCAW version is 10.0. My Lexmark is attahed via USB Cable. I print to it from my remote computer with no problem. I installed it on my Host Computer using the CD that came with the Printer. When I try to print a screen from my Host Computer via PC Anywhere, It goes through the motions and shows me the printing graph and says Printing complete, however nothing prints. Am I doing something wrong???? If so can anyone help???

Thanks

BXPOOH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back