Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC to PC ghosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I am trying to ghost pc to pc using tcp/ip. the only problem that I am having is setting up the ip address. I have done it in great numbers but never on two pcs off the network. how would I go about doing this and what subnet mask would I use? DO i use APIPA?

What does APIPA stand for?

How are the two PC's cabled - cross-over, into Hub/Switch or BNC?

Subnet masks - just insure that both machines have the same subnet mask such as 255.255.255.0, but unique IP addresses (use WINIPCFG to verify both machines).

Can you PING x.x.x.x (type that at the DOS prompt), the IP address of each machine from the other?

Remove, if necessary any doubt that any and all other protocols from network properties are not a factor. This verifies that any operational network setup can only be a TCP/IP network.

Actually, install NETBEUI on both computers, forget TCP/IP and do it the easy way. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back