Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Deployments

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauriceN

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
US
How do you all handle major PC Deployments? You know, end of year funds were used to buy 200 new desktops, they just came in and now you have to deploy them? We are using GHOST to image them with one of three different "BASE" images, but we are spending so much time loading all of the other software that we didn't either know about or that isn't imageable (is that a word) like AutoCad. We also have a lot of other specialized software that was developed in house that is a pain to install. We had one person working full time on this and they got up to a max rate of 3 PC replacements in a day average over a week. I have been tasked to get the deployment rate up to 15-20 a day. Is that possible? It seems like there would be a MUCH faster method of loading these. Anybody have any experience with the disk imagers? What is your secret way of deployment and how many do you all do in a day?

Thanks for any comments and recommendations you might have.

It all depends on what you have to do when you deploy the new workstations. To prepare a new desktop, what I have done is make an unattended installation disk which I created using the following website.

After the installation of Windows XP is complete, I run a batch file which does an unattended installation of all of the software we use at our company. I keep all of the software we use on a server on the network. This batch files installs software as well as creates shortcuts and other registry tweaks.

In my work area, I have a 10 port KVM switch. I could get 10 desktops done with my eyes closed and 20 if I wanted to work a little. ;-) Fortunately, I don't have to do it very often.

The time consuming part of my method is when I have to copy the users data from the old to the new desktop. This is where something like SMS would be great.

We also have a lot of other specialized software that was developed in house that is a pain to install.

What language was this software written in? Why is it difficult to install? Since this is "in house", I don't see any reason custom install scripts couldn't be written and then automated.

Let us know your results!

X

Definately check out the website. It was a tremendous help a while back when I used it as a reference at our company. It's made my life so much easier. I just can't get AS400 to work properly!

=================
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that do not.

WHy can't you recreate your base images with most of the software already installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back