Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password protected powerpoint file open problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tp322

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2007
HK
Dear All,

I wonder if anyone can help to solve the problems.

I have a powerpoint file with password protected.
In a local profile account. I can see the read only button in the input password dialogue box.
The strange things happened when a roamng profile account try to open the same power point file. The read only button is not displayed in the input dialogue box. I need to input the password to open it.

Any ideal how I can solve the problems.

Many thanks in advance.[wink]

wfl

hi tp322,

As a general rule, TT doesn't answer "password" problems.

You can just imagine the abuse potential, with stolen laptops/Apps/etc...

Yes, there are totally legitimate password issues - your's probably among them - but the larger community cannot be handing out code-breaks willy-nilly.

Best of wishes
don

[blue]____________________________________________________________
Some folks put their money where their mouth is. Me? I just pay my bill. [/blue]

It seems no one can solve the problems.

I am not interested in bypass the password protection.

I'just want to open the ppt file with read only option which the creator main purpose.

Why a roaming profile user cannot open a password protected ppt file for read only?

Is it a bug in the office 2003 programme?

Anyone will shed a light on this issue.

As I am very puzzle with this issue.

I try some steps to verify the problem.

I create a powerpoint file with known password.

I try to open it using roaming profile account and guess what I can't open it even I type the correct password. It keeps prompt me with incorrect password error message.

I try it on a local profile account and it opens with same password type in.

So it looks like it could be a bug in office 2003. Can anyone verify my findings and report to Microsoft.

wfl

What are both powerpoint versions? 2003? Read-only security option is relatively new (started in xp), so there may be some enchancements in 2003. Do you have the same problem with very simple password (single letter or number). Does pure opening file password works?

combo

The powerpoint file version is 2003 and the password I tested is a very simple number only. say 123456

Any more idea?

Password protection is as much about hiding the contents, as preventing updates. To set a file to be read-only for other users is easy enough.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Madawc, the new pp xp reas-only is really clever, you can prevent any editing/viewing all the design work. It works pretty well for me. The problem is that it does not work for tp322 for external profile.
My first impression was version conflict - pp 2000 can't read such protected file.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back