Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 10 error- can't initialize BDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamessavik

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2006
US
I just installed the Wordperfect Office 10 suite on WinXPsp2 and I get this error. Anyone found a cure for it?

I'm not very good aat fixing things here but when I get that BDE error it is usually because I already have Paradox running.

Rick

I had to fool around with this one a while until I figured it out.

I have Firebird (open source Interbase clone) running on the same machine. On a hunch I shut down the Firebird daemon and reinstalled Paradox 10 and everything was hunky dorie.

When I restarted the Firebird daemon, both products were happy.

I guess that Firebird looked enough like another instance of BDE to confuse the loader.

Case closed.

Sidebar- I used to use Paradox, Quatro Pro, Turbo C and Pascal back in the dark ages of DOS. They were cheap enough that a college kid could afford them and they actually worked. Borland made some really slick stuff. The other guys couldn't even spell IDE and Borland was selling them on 5 1/4" floppies.

Paradox is useful enough as a simple migration tool[ to pay $75-100 for it.

It's sad that fine products like these are fading. They are not bad products but they are badly marketed. If Corel were smart, they would sell them unbundled. They could probably get away with marketing it like a 30-day shareware trial download and make their money on the license and documentation.

As it is, you MUST buy WP Office Pro to get Paradox and that just isn't working.

-JS

jamessavik, I agree with you 100%. I could never figure out (and still can't) why so many people love Micorsoft stuff so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back