Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panasonic Maintenence Console 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrock

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2008
I was wondering if someone could help me? My company owns a Panasonic KX-TDA 200 and we have been paying a phone guy 85 bucks every time we need to make small little changes. Which has been monthly here recently. I wanted to know where I can get certified so I can get the Maintenance Console and program the system without having to pay him everytime. I am the dedicated IT support tech so this shouldnt be an issue with knowledge i just need to find out where to get certified and the approximate cost. Any Help would be great. Thanks in advance

I believe you need to be a pansonic dealer or be employed by one to be certified

panasonic has really been cracking down on their propitiatory products and dealers selling software and consoles to non dealers risk losing their dealership

you might want to post this in the pnasonic forum here

(BTW 85 is cheap for PBX programing, your lucky to have someone who will do it for that )

Hey, Thanks for the help skip, I have searched but cant seem to find a panasonic forum on here. do you happen to know what grouping it is under?

Thanks again for the info! much appreciated

I believe you would need to be a certified panasonic dealer to be certified by panasonic; However, you may be able to get certified through another dealer for an unknown cost. Remember this though, We as vendors pay dearly for our training (money and time and buying systems) and you paying your vendor for adds, moves, and changes is how we make our living, so do not be disappointed if you find that no one wants to give up this information easily.

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

You will find the Panasonic forum under Wiring Closet. It is called Panasonic Solutions. It is under the same heading as this forum.

What you might do is make a list of all your changes and have those done together, rather than on a one - two basis. That way you get more bang for the buck! For stuff the user can change or program, if you don't have user guides or manuals checkout: wedophones.com for any Panasonic documentation.

....JIM....

you needed software pbx unified for panasonic.
or page download
thanks, for all

Irock,
No offense to any IT guys, but from my experience you do not make good phone guys. The ones that do start by learning the vocabulary, not how to program a phone system. It has a distinct langauge, and that varies from manufacturer to manuf.

The reason that the two fields are not that compatible between skill sets is that with phone systems, they often do not have "Restore", and some changes in one prgramming area with two keystrokes to change, may take 200 to put back, and require programming those strokes in multiple different areas in programming.

If you would not turn your basic phone guy loose on your network, then the same would go for an IT guy on the phone system.

Now if I was your tech coming in for $85/hr I would encourage you to go for it yourself. I would also not teach you how to do it for free, and then would sit back and make some more $85/hr if I did not change my rates to come clean up the mess. If you needed me to clean it up, and could not wait for the standard 2-3 days to be scheduled that would be emergency rate of 1 1/2 times my normal rate including transit time. This would also negate any warranty, or service contract as you had a unauthorized tech work on the system. By the way, unauthorized means anyone working on it besides my staff as certified does not equal authorized in my warranty documents, or maint contracts. You start servicing it, and you void your warrany with myself, except for items I authorize you to do within my warranty docs.

If you wipe the core firmware, or software from one of the modules, or processors, that is not covered by warranty, or maint contract my friend.

Hi aarenot!

Just say to Irock how much cost one day training and he will then judge.

Bye

rfpup,
If he were a qualified telephony guy who already knows the basics of communications, and is certified by a manufacturer on a few different systems already I would say maybe a weeks worth of training in a small 20 member course through the manufacturer if he was willing to study up ahead fo time. I have had co-workers who have taken less time to get their MCSE than to be fully certified on a phone system.
It would measure in weeks not hours of training, and some self study as well as the training. Now that is for a non-communications guy, cut thatin half for a guy who does communications for a living already.
Cost would be for the course not for certification, as that is not guaranteed. I have sat next to guys who had multiple MS, and Cisco certs, and fail the certs.

This thread was beaten to death in the Panasonic forum, but here's the direct answer. Panasonic charges $800 for a qualified technician to attend a class of about 10-14 students. The same is available at Jenne University, held at Jenne Distributors in Avon, OH. Going to class does not mean you will pass, as I remember about 2 or 3 guys in my class of 10 did not make it.

You have a rare opportunity to learn the mechanics of Panasonic systems by learning the TAW-848 for free. I would like to think it's the prerequisite for the class.
If you can understand and program an 848, then you know about 1/2 to 3/4 of what you need for the TDA-200, and the 50 just adds a couple of extra items to the 848.

Among the requirements for TDA class is the blessing of a dealer, but I imagine a bright end user would be allowed to take the class. I have heard of vendor employees taking the class, being able to register systems, but not sell them, so I guess a case could be made for anyone attending the class in the right circumstances.

The OP is probably long gone, but I hope this answers your questions.

LkEErie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back