Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORPG

MIS
Jul 17, 2014
US
Folks, I am bringing up a UCx50e w/ Polycom 300 & 400 phones. I have set my paging group to 701 and added my extensions. When I dial the 701 I hear the announce tone and the extensions drop off after two rings. Will paging (over the phones, not external) work with these phones please? I saw a note on the GUI that did not include Polycom phones. I have had no trouble with Nortel T7316e phones at other locations. This is my first use of Polycoms.

Only some SIP phones have the ability to auto-answer calls when instructed to do so by the call server. Different phone vendors use different strings in SIP headers to determine if the call is to be automatically answered. For Polycom phones that support the auto-answer capability, the required SIP header is
[pre]Alert-Info: info=Auto Answer[/pre]

When the Intercom or Paging feature is used, UCx sends this header in the SIP INVITE message to all Polycom phones. The problem is that some Polycom phones completely ignore it, some models handle it properly only with certain firmware versions, and some actually work. [wink] You'll find many posts about this topic on Polycom community forums - that's where you may be able to find the answer to your question...

Thanks UCxguy; this is the last time I will allow my vendor to propose Polycoms; just been a real headache; what SIP phones do you recommend please?

Yealink!!!!!

I have several systems with these sets and they all work fine!

I am planning on testing an Aastra 6863i,6865i,6867i,and 6869i.....These phones are extremely close to the Nortel 1100 and 1200 series telephones and they LOOK AWESOME. They have full color displays on the 6867i and 6869i, a familiar RLS/GOODBYE button, can be programmed via a web GUI and have all of the familiar Nortel ring tones. They are now owned by Mitel, but the history of these IP phones revolve around the original acquisition of the smaller business Meridian and Centrex phones by Aastra from Nortel in 1999.

So I am seriously planning on clicking "but it now" on ebay, unless anyone here advises against it? No one ever talks about these phones. Here are some photos I found online. The lower end models are kind of boring, but the two higher end models look awesome and don't look like Cisco.

aastra_1_mutuvh.jpg
aastra_2_chqqtk.jpg
aastra3_fsvuva.jpg
aastra4_cddvo2.jpg
aastra_hvocjl.jpg

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

Yealink is a pretty safe bet - they have a good selection of models, a very decent feature set and excellent documentation for all phones/features - all that for very affordable prices.

I have no experience with Aastra/Mitel phones.

We have used Yealink T48G, T46G, T41P, T27P and have ha dno issues. Highly recommend Yealink over Polycom!! Polycom can be quite "testy" at times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back