Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook PST question

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipesnab

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
GB
Hi I have just moved to a new office and the silly administrator here dialled into my computer without notifying me and joined me to the new domain without allowing me to save me outlook settings. Now I am stuck with an outlook OST file on my laptop and am unable to import it into my outlook (Using outlook 2003) how can i convert my ost file into a pst file, without spending any money? ANyone have any ideas.

If I cannot do this - can i go back to my old exchange sarver- will the guys there be able to create a PST file for me from my exchange box there which was synchronised with my laptop outlook? (they are using exchange 2000)

Thanks.

You can only get your mail back if you have access to it in any way or form, be it from a backup PST, OST, or the 'old' Exchange server.
Otherwise ... sorry

Beside that, you should ask the Admin to fix that for you, he/she is responsible for the good operations, and security.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

I have the OST file on my laptop, but i cannot import this into outlook, how can i access the ost file so it is in pst format?

the exchange admin should most certainly be able to create a pst of your old mailbox folders if they backup the store. i believe exmerge is the "free" tool for this. also ontrack power controls will export your folders to .pst files.

scottie

The one way is to connect to the old exchange server and then archive or copy all your mails from OST to a personal Folder. This will create a .pst of of your old emails, which you can then open in Outlook 2003.

In short, there is no way to "convert" your OST files to a standard PST archive.

The best solution would be to have the Exchange Admin for your old server export your mailbox into a PST archive.

On a side note, I'm not sure how adding/changing domains would cause you to loose any files. What it might have done is move your profile to a different folder on the machine.

Try looking in the C:\Documents and Settings (on Windows XP) folder. Do you see folders that have the filename format <your_username>.<server_name>? Check these out. Typically when a user's machine changes domains, Windows creates a new profile for that user that has a .<server_name>.<number> format. Your PST might be in one of these other folders.

For example, if my username is Nick and my computer is on the SERVER domain originally, I might have a profile on the computer under a "Nick" folder. If my computer were re-added onto the domain, my profile would be re-created in a folder called "Nick.SERVER". If it happened again it would be in a folder called "Nick.SERVER.001". If my computer was moved to the SERVER_2 domain, then it would create a new folder called "Nick.SERVER_2".

Anyway... long story short, just check the Documents and Settings folder and see if you can find anything. PST files are located (by default) in <profile_folder>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back