Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS Selector

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBlunt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2001
Upon messing with the drivers for my SCSI adapter, I was required to place the WINNT CD in the drive and go through that mess. Well, that was done, but now, on my OS selector at start-up, WINNT Installation/Repair is present, always selected first, and only gives me 5 seconds to make a choice, where I have it set for 20 seconds. I know there is a way to eliminate the Installation program from the OS Loader, but I don't recall how. Anybody?
Thanks,

Doc

You have to edit the file called boot.ini
It is located at the root of C:(make a copy of the file and call it boot.old for safe keeping)
Open boot.ini in Notepad and you will see a basic layout of
the OS selection screen.
What you have to do is delete the line for "Winnt install repair".
This will remove the option at start up. And for the 5 sec
time....change the number in the second line of the file from 5 to 20... eg
timeout=5 change to...
timeout=20

see my pic for some more info...

hope this helps...

Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

Right click on My Computer and in there you can select which is the default without having to manually edit the boot.ini file. This means you don't need to think about UNC names and so on.

Thank you both for your help. I appreciate it.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back