Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimizing Windows 2003 server IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestips

MIS
Jan 15, 2008
US
I am running a webserver with ASP.net. We r hosting it with a thirdparty company that provides us with crazy internet bandwidth and connection speed. Is there any setting that i can do to optimize the NIC card besides IIS settings, and gui stuff like network troughput, etc..

I am good with IIS, but not with TCP/IP buffer size.
What does this mean?
estimate = 2087.24 based on packet size = 11Kbits, RTT = 5.34msec, and loss = 1.0E-6
The theoretical network limit is 2087.24 Mbps
The NDT server has a 255.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 374.74 Mbps
Your PC/Workstation has a 63.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 93.68 Mbps
The network based flow control limits the throughput to 93.92 Mbps

Again I ask, what software are you using? Where did you get these numbers, and what exactly is the problem you're trying to fix?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I am geting these numbers from running a test with a co speedtest.calpop.com.
I am wondering if i should increase the buffer size to make it faster

Mike, I'd like to help you out here but I can't read your mind. What is "it" that you want "faster"? You posted 4 objects: theoretical limit, server limit, workstation limit, physical network limit.

What is the problem? Why do you think that you need to do anything?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Sorry, what i am trying to ask is that can i make the speed faster since it says
The NDT server has a 255.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 374.74 Mbps
Your PC/Workstation has a 63.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 93.68 Mbps
The network based flow control limits the throughput to 93.92 Mbps

No, you cannot increase the speed of the connection. You may be able to increase its throughput, that remains to be seen.

I am guessing that you are concerned about throughput to the Internet. First question, what kind of a connection do you have to the Internet? "Crazy" is not a tangible measurement. Your upstream numbers will likely be different than your downstream numbers, and it does make a difference which is which.

I seriously doubt that you have more than 93.92 Mbps upstream to the Internet, therefore your network is already FASTER than your internet connection. No tweaking needed.

Sounds like he's on a metro ethernet WAN, and he's concerned with throughput to the IIS server, for web applications.
Yes---increase the buffer size (double it).

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back