Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimize drill through reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiennk

MIS
Jan 25, 2005
SG
Hi All,
I use powerplay web 7.1, impromptu web report 7.1 for my DW.

I have scheduled all the impromptu drill through reports to run at night so that I can hope when user drill through from the power play web it will use the data snapshot stored in the drill through reports therefore no need to access the database. But I am not sure whether it works or not. Because when i drill through, impromptu web report still show the screen "Your report is running...", the wait time is still same as the drill through reports have not yet run at night.

Can somebody tell me when we scehdule impromptu report to run without any filter with the option "Run and save result", Will cognos store the snapshot of data in Object store or not?

1. If yes then when we drill through to that report with some combination of filter from powerplay, can cognos re-use the snapshot in Oject Store with the new filter? Or cognos has to access the database again with any new filter?

2. If not then there is any way to optimize the drill through reports? (limit the time access to the database for drill through report)

1. No, Cognos will access whatever database your catalog is connecting to, it will not utilize a snapshot.

2. The best way to optimize your drill through reports is to index the appropriate fields, and run plenty of testing before hand. You also want to ensure that the processing is happening in the database, not back on the desktop. Compare your SQL to your Magic SQL to verify this. There is also the option to limit the amount of time a report can run, you can set this in the catalog.

3. There is one other option:
You could create a hotfile containing the available drill-through data. Then have your Drill through report built against the hotfile. Depending on how much data you have, and how much server resource you have available, this may not be a good option.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back