Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have Windows ME and suddenly I am unable to open the files I have saved from within My Document. For instance word files will not open unless I open word first. How can I fix this problem?

What are the file extensions you want to open in Word and what do you mean by I cannot open them?

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit...:) smitee

You could try right-clicking on the file goto properties, and change the application that opens that type of file. If for instance it is already set to MS Word, then change it to notepad, press apply ,press ok, then go back in and re-set it to MS Word, and see if that works.
[deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

It could be a file association problem or there is a setting in word to ignore other applications.
The ignore other applications is more common in word 97.
Click on tools>options>general take the check out of "ignore other applictaions"
fedto[cheers]

Thank you for your suggestions, I tryed both methods suggested and there is no change. Here is more detail - What happens is from within MY DOCUMENT,if I doulbe click to open say a letter with ext - .doc I get a message saying - "please wait while windows configures MS 2000 Premium" then it asks for the MS 2000 cd which I don't have as it was installed on the computer when purchased.(*note for example there is no problem opening word files in word). This problem is in MY DOCUMENTS only and applies to all the files saved with .doc / .exl / front page /access /basically only word processing files. Pitures, music, corel files all open fine.

Pepinbrook,

It sounds like your MS OFfice install was not done correctly/completely. Has it always worked this way?

Your associations are fine since it tries to start Word but MS Office doesn't think it is completely installed, hence the set up routine starting.

What CD's did you get from the vendor? You should have still gotten Office even though it was pre-installed. There are a number of install choices and unless they installed every possible option, you would need the CD if you decided to change anything. Is there a restore CD?

The Old Man

In answer to Oldman346 and anyone else with suggestions. There is a restore for Windows ME but not Office 2000. I borrowed a freinds Office 2000 but it will not recognize the registration number. I guess a file went missing for some reason. Sometimes I get a message saying insert cd with msdata1 from Office 2000 premium when I find it on the borrowed CD it won't install or even save it because it does not recognize it.
*This has not been a problem since I bought the computer about a year ago and now suddenly this problem . I did have a virus PE-MagisterB I found it when I was trying to fix the problem. I am rid of the virus now maybe it distroyed a file.

Pepinbrook,

My best suggestion then would be to go into any of the Office apps, pull down Help > About and get the Product ID. With that call Microsoft and explain the problem to them. They should be able to give you the key to be used and may even ship you a CD.

Then I would go back to whoever you bought the computer from. A reputable dealer should have provided you with the CD and ask them to make good on it.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

RE: Pre-installed software doesn't recognize compatible document.

You should have received a recovery disk with your computer. Normally,
such problems can be taken care of by recovering using only reinstall the
software. This won't lose your documents and other personal information,
but may cause some difficulty with some of the programs you've installed
since you first got the computer. Any that show problems should be
reinstalled.

If that doesn't work on your microsoft files (my documents), you need to use the the recovery disk to format the hard drive and reinstall your original software.
As a warning, before you do that, you need to save a number of files(hopefully to a zip disk if you have one) or to floppies . Among them are your bookmarks, address book, software downloads such as the unzip file, adobe, etc, important email and the personal files you keep any finances on, letters, spreadsheets, wordprocessing documents, etc. Take your time developing a list of what you have that you want to keep.

It takes some guts to do as chances are you will have forgotten something, but your computer will run "as good as new" and you will be able to open your files.

Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestins, I'll wait for a while before I do anything drastic! I think I will just open my word processing files in there own program windows and forget about trying to open them in My Documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back