Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NW Client Win95/98 Security Timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

torner

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
Does either the NW Client for Windows 95/98 OR the NW 5 NOS offer the ability to define a length of idle time which, once met, will lockdown the desktop/network access until the user's network password is entered?

I must give a group of teachers full access to administrative network folders. These teachers habitually either walk away from their computers for long periods of time or, even worse, leave them on all night long. I know I can solve the 'all night long' issue by setting the 'Login Time Restrictions' parameter in the user's details in NWADMIN. What I'd like to be able to do is set an 'idle time' timeout which would require the user's network password before continuing. I know that I can more-or-less accomplish the same end by using the Windows screen saver. However, I lose the 'control' of their password AND any student worth their 'geekiness' can quickly hack past the Windows password.

Thank you for any help!!!

I believe that there is third party software that will do this but it is not native to NetWare or the client. Joshua Rothschild
j.rothschild@dynamode.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back