Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2003
US
A new client just brought a proliant 4500 from 1994 to my office. It has a 4 disk scsi raid 5 and winnt server. Their "volunteer" IT dummy hasn't backed up since 2003.

The system would not boot at all (replaced video card, fan, and power supply) and finally got it to get to boot and logon, however after logon, it states that is shutting down because of system abnormalities (very similar to the slammer problem). I don't need this server for long, I just need to get the data off.

It has a data partition that I want to install windows 2000 on so I can back up the data over the network. When I boot from floppy to load win2k it says it can't access the cd-rom.

However, I can browse the cd-rom in the cmd console. I then tried to launch winnt32.exe but it will not launch b/c the command is not supported.

Just need the data. Also trying to come up with a way to possible move data without windows at all.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

If that raid is a hardware-based raid, you can use boot floppy with NTFSDOS to access the drive. You can also add another drive on a separate controller (ide or scsi), install nt on it and access the original drive.

Good luck.

Hi,

A great tool to try is either BartPE (free download) or WinPE (have to qualify for a license from microsoft) for booting into a semi-functional windows that can connect to the network.

(downloads are further down the webpage).

I've used this to get data off of PC's where windows has crashed but need read/write access to NTFS drives.

Don't know about SCSI support however.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back