Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NLS_CharacterSet update and Standby Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbrs4me

MIS
May 26, 2010
US
We have a bunch of databases that use the WE8ISO8859P1 character set. We needed to add the EURO symbol to our Currency setup, but that character isn't supported. The simple solution is to migrate to the WE8MSWIN1252 character set. Oracle has lots of documentation about this and I was able to update a test database in a relatively short time frame. I am confident in what needs to be done and how to do it, but I have a question. We also have a physical and a logical standby database that are updated from our production database. Does anyone know how I should go about updating the standby databases?

Thanks,
Charlie

Same way as if you would be "patching" the database, check out document id. 278641.1
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

For your physical standby, if you are at Oracle 11.1.0.7 or higher, you can change the NLS_CHARACTERSET without recreating the physical standby. This is a new feature of Oracle 11g. The relevant document at support.oracle.com is 1124165.1

For your logical standby, I am quite pessimistic that you will be able to make the character set conversion on your primary database without dropping and recreating the logical standby. See, for example, note 1283764.1, which addresses this issue, although not for the exact character set conversion that you are contemplating.

Thank you for replying to this thread. I was on a time crunch of sorts and had to plow away with this conversion on the primary database. I ended up deleting both standby's and recreating them. The character set change carried through to the standby creation. It was pretty transparent.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back