Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nightmare problem with views vs. folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAK1

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
US
Like many other users, I initially confused views with folders. I have literally thousands of emails in my database. When sending an email, I thought that if I hit "Send and Save", it would save it in the designated folder but if I just hit "Send", it would not save the email. I now have thousands of emails in my "All Documents" folder that I thought were deleted. I "Removed" them all from the "Sent" folder, thinking this might delete the ones that were not located in another folder, but they obviously still exist in the All Documents view. I can find no way to list my emails showing which ones are saved in folders and which are not. How can I delete the emails that I did not save in a folder (other than the Sent folder and the All Documents folder)? How can I tell whether or not a particular email is indexed in a user created folder?

Hello,

One way is to clean up your sent items. When you delete messages from this view, you will be prompted if you want to Delete all documents or remove from view.

I normally will clean up the sent items and remove from view. Then delete or archive the largest in the "All Documents" view.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

John

Sounds like a messy manual clean up to me, but i think the options you should of used if you wanted it to work in the way you descibed are:

File> preferences> user preferences> Mail and news>
Change the 'save sent mail' to either 'prompt for save' or 'dont save'. now sent mail will not save unless you specify.

sorry that doesnt help with your cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back