Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Night ring calling random VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Dean

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2023
US
I was asked to setup voicemail for our phones. We have the CallPiolt 100. I got them setup and find out the night ring went to my voicemail, the next night it was a different one. I am lost on what has changed.

The phones in the Night Ring group are obviously forwarded to VM after X number of rings. Have a look at the CFNA settings on each extension and extend the number of rings to give the night staff more time to answer.
If you don't want VM to answer at night at all then the phones in the Night Ring group cannot have any sort of forwarding to VM.

The phone went to a general VM during night ring. I think I am understanding what you are saying. Right now night ring is 4 rings as well as the CFNA. So it would be random on what phones pick up. I can change the night ring down to 3 rings.

What is the purpose of "Night Ring" at you place of business? what exactly is supposed to happen?

Night Ring (Service Modes) examples:
-After 5pm Auto Attendant (main greeting) will answer inbound calls right away, where as during the day it would answer after X amount of rings if reception is too busy.
or
-Some employee's can answer calls after 5pm such as the plant

Depending on your setup depends on what the true fix might be.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

We posted too close...

Night Ring does not have a "ring count".
Phones have a ring count.

As for the Voicemail system (separate box)
Only AA/Lines/Table/X/Line # has a ring count.

Also do NOT confuse Night Greeting as a Night service.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The night ring would allow late workers to answer the phones and when no answer, it would go to the general VM.

Our operator does F982 then changes Answer lines to Y. When this is set all of the phones will ring. In the callPilot under Auto-Attendent>Line Administration, it is set to pickup at 4 rings. I was meaning if I change the AA to pickup on 3 rings and keep the phones at 4.

Nick, I agree with CC as it sounds like you are getting a few things confused. Do you want Night ring calls to ring on a group of phones first before going to a AA Night greeting or do you want the calls to go to the Night AA immediately?
If you want to ring a group of phones first then set their CFNA to VM to 6 rings (there is no option for 5) for all of the phones in the Night Ring group, and set the AA Lines to 5 rings. This way the AA will answer after 5 rings before the 6 ring threshold on the phones is reached.
The 6 rings on those phones will also apply during the day as well so then you have to make sure that Transfer Callback is set higher than 6 rings otherwise during the day the call will never get to the phones's VM box as Transfer Callback will send the call back to the VM and ultimately the General mailbox.

As you can see there is a lot to consider here. Old timers like CC and me have been throgh all of this before.

The way it was working and the way they want it is the following: All of the phones rings then a recording came on with information, then you could press 0 to leave a VM in the General VM.

The AA menu is set at 4 ring.
I set up maybe 5 VM and CFNA at 4 rings.

Nortel4Ever- you are suggesting I need to set the CFNA higher than the AA rings correct?

Yes, you want the AA Lines set to 4 rings and CFNA on all ringing phones set to 6 (there is no 5 ring setting on the phone, it goes from 4 to 6 to 10. This way the incoming call will get answered by the AA after 4 rings before the number CFNA rings on the phones is reached.

You can try setting both to 4 rings, but do a lot of testing to make sure the AA that you want answers reliably every time.

I change the AA to pickup on 3 rings. But my personal VM picked up. I thought tonight I would be able to use the VPN and make some changes in callpiolt, but its not loading.

Picked up on how many rings?
Is F982 interfering? does it work if you leave it as Business Open and Answer lines?

In SystemProgramming/FeatureSettings make sure DRT Delay is set to 6 rings

Are you the one with General Delivery mailbox?

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The AA picks up on 3 rings. I am going in the office tomorrow as we are closed and i can try different things. I still do not have it back to the it was, but i feel im getting closer.

I have it fixed I do believe. I had my rings set lower than what the AA was set at. Thank for all of the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back