Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New switch admin - Logging into SMGR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCaptObvious

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2022
US
Hello All,

This forum has been a godsend for me. I have been tasked with up-keeping our phone system, recent employee left. I have mainly only worked on outside plant facilities, but thanks to this forum, I have managed to get by with some tasks on the switch. My current Avaya System consists of G450, S8300, T1. I am running Avaya Site Admin (the only access to the system I currently have to make station changes). The company has a new circuit coming in to change from T1 to ethernet (more data), as they are wanting to go VOIP with our current setup. I am looking for a work-around to get into all the servers/devices.

I currently have access to the CM7 via Avaya Site and I can also access the "server maintenance" via IP. We have a System Manager 7.1, but I haven't found a way to access it. I've read multiple threads on the matter but I still cannot log into the server. I am able to putty into the services port on the s8300, but it asks for login and password. I've used the logins I have, which didn't work, and I've tried the ones mentioned within these threads. None give me access. I am also able to access the FQDN for System Manager via ip>. I tried different logins/passwords and none of those worked; I tried the "forget password" option and tried different combinations, but I was unsuccessful. I am also able to log into the System Manager local login via ip>/local-login. Again, login/passwords did not work.

I checked the CM7 server log and see that SMGR is trying to log in everyday, 2 times per day, and it's failing.

My question: is there another way to log into SMGR or obtain login information?

Any help will be appreciated.

Without the root password I think you are stuck, may have to be a SR into Avaya.

It's linux in VMware Boot in single user mode. Or boot off a CentOS 7 DVD in rescue mode and it'll mount the root slice to /mnt/sysimage and you can chroot /mnt/sysimage and passwd root from there

Reboot without the CentOS DVD mounted, get the VMware console to root login and change the SMGR pw from there for local-login etc etc

Now if you don't have the ESXi password, then you're hooped! If it's on your own VMware, you should be able to do all that.

Thanks for the help. No boot CD available and no ESXi password. The original person in charge of installing and maintaining the switch, did not leave any information or documentation aside from ASA login - thankfully that. I guess we are going to have ditch out some $$$ and call Avaya.
On a side note, am I going to have to be able to log into system manager when our circuit changes from T1 to ethernet? I can't seem to find any information on Avaya ethernet circuits or if my system will even handle it.

Avaya servers or your own vmware?

If you're moving from T1 to SIP - which is what I assume you mean by ethernet - you need a SBC and you need to configure that in System Manager and Session Manager and Communication Manager.

Or, depending on the carrier, they might be able to deliver it on a device that flips SIP to T1 so you just have to move the wire.

@kyle555 - that's exactly what we are doing, moving to SIP. I figured I needed access to the SBC, SMGR, SM, and CM (CM is the only one I have a login and password that is known and working). Back to trying to get Avaya to help with logins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back