Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Error Need Help with Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazza18

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2004
US
We have multiple systems using tables from a SQL Server. Every morning we update the the standalones that are used throughout these systems so the information in the tables is current. We had a situation where one user had to update the tables later in the day, as one of the other users was updating their system. The second system crashed and now I am getting this error message - "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." I read through the help and I don't know how to do the update they are recommending. Has anyone seen this before?

Yes you have a corrupted database.
The only fix is either restore it from backup or
rebuild it. The data is fine.
If you don't have a backup then come back here and I'll help you rebuild it. depending on what all is in it, it could be time consuming to redo.

If you don't backup start now. At least copy to the same folder. In Windows Explorer Press Ctrl-C then Ctrl-V
it will make a "Copy of xxx.mdb"

Also see my FAQs on making an MDE
If it an Access 2002 database then everything should be able to be seen even if it won't work so you can create a new blank database and at least see what you need to from the corrupted one. Table should be OK Queries too, VBA code is what got corrupted but if you can open the VBA editor and copy it put it in Notepad and save it as a text file then open that text file and paste it in your new database. You cannot copy it from one database to another you will bring the corruption.

DougP, MCP, A+

Is the problem on the SQL server or the desktops?

You might be able to resolve the problem by doing a graceful shut down of the database, and then the server. Have the users reboot.

We actually backup the system every night, so we are just going to have to do some of teh entry work over again. Thanks for the help.

The Access database is corrupted, the .MDB where ever it is. Do you back it up?
Not SQL Server whihc is the data as I mentioned it is fine even if it was Access. Its your forms reports and other things that are going to need to be fixed.
Hopefully you find which one it is. I you open it, it will give you an error.
If you open anything and get the same error then it lies deeper in the database.

DougP, MCP, A+

Someone I know is having a similar problem. Same exact error message, but it is on open of the database, so they are kicked out immediately. They can not compact and repair it. Do you think they would be able to import the tables into a new database? I am going to tell them to try it, but if it doesn't work, do you know of any other way get those tables out?

Melissa
Designing Access databases since 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back