Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network works, Internet does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavee

Technical User
Oct 21, 2003
US
Hi,

I have 5 PCs on a network, 4 are XP Home and 1 is win 98 SE. I have them all in a workgroup and I can access them all. But the win 98 does not connect via the router to the internet. All settings are like they are supposed to be, on automatic IP. With winipcfg I can release and renew, but if I choose the PPP Adapter it will not give me a IP. When I renew the NIC it gives a IP, but it still does not connect. Ping does only work to 127.0.0.1

Any ideas?

Octavee

Does the Win98 box get routes and DNS information? It sounds as if it is getting an IP address, but the default route or DNS servers are not correct.

Can the Win98 box see the other computers on the network? Or is the IP address that it gets a 169.254.x.x? If so, it is never actually getting a DHCP response from your DHCP server. I don't know why MS chose to give an IP address on their network as the default for a failed DHCP request, rather than nothing.

pansophic

I can go from the win 98 PC to "My Network Places" and to the workgroup to all other PCs. I can access the win98 PC from the other PCs.
Since I am not at the PC right now, I can not check if it is 169.254, but I can say that I can renew both, the PPP Adapter and the NIC with winipcfg. But only the NIC gives a IP, The PPP Adapter says: 0000.
Before I got for a while an error when trying to renew with winipcfg, that the DHCP could not be found. Now I do not get the error, but IE, Firefox or ping does not get any response.

Octavee

Since you can see the other machines, you must be getting a valid IP address. I'd check the Gateway and DNS information. You can find that information under the advanced or detail button (it has been way too long since 98).

pansophic

This is very strange. I can connect to the network from the PC, but not to the internet. Nor can I ping out. If I use the laptop on the same cable, it works fine.
The desktop gives me:DNS Server 192.68.0.1
IP 192.168.0.121
Default GAteway:192.68.0.1

The Laptop gives the same, but I can connect to the net. I installed additionally Firefox, but no results.

Help.

try changing the ip address on the computer, just change to anything as long as it is in range.

Can you ping the gateway?

the router is set to DHCP?

Can you open up a dos window, (start run command)
and ping google.com?

is you subnet mask 255.255.255.0?

can the other pc's ping the one without internet connectivity?

Can you ping the gateway? NO

the router is set to DHCP? YES

Can you open up a dos window, (start run command)
and ping google.com? NO

is you subnet mask 255.255.255.0? YES

can the other pc's ping the one without internet connectivity? YES

I will try changing the IP address and post back.

Hello

I changed to static IP address, but it's all the same. I can see and access the network. They can see and access me, but I can not ping out.

Are you able to ping the gateway from any of your other machines, or does the gateway block ping?

Try printing out IPCONFIG /ALL and ROUTE /PRINT and post them. Perhaps there is something in the IP configuration or more likely in the routing table that is prohibiting your connection to the gateway.

Don't forget to mask any resolvable IP addresses if you have them. It doesn't sound as if you will.

pansophic

What about the proxy settings on the 98 pc?
Do these need configuring to the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back