Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISDNman

Vendor
Nov 12, 2004
US
Hello Folks,

Not a lot of activity on this board. I am a weird case. I have a lifelong interest in Telephony and have taught myself a lot. I also have an audio background as well, having been involved in radio. I was very lucky to have had a job that used both these skillsets with a company that makes Telephone Systems for broadcasters and ISDN and IP Hardware Codecs. This allowed a lot of experience and growth with regards to these skillsets.

The broadcast equipment manufacturer space is very small, and currently I am not able to move from the DC area. Thus job opportunities are limited in that field so I need to make the case to less specialized employers. I do not want to do general IT (help desk workstation) support. I would much prefer something with networking, WAN, and VoIP-related

At this point I suspect certification would help me get interviews. A few questions:

Does anyone know if the Cisco program allows Network Certification without some other program as a pre-requisite?

What do you you folks think about CompTIA certification? I really like the fact it is not Vendor specific, particularly since I know that Cisco re-defines everything and then pretends they are the "authority" despite being wrong.

Also, the big companies are unlikely to be imaginative enough to hire someone like me, so the fact they use Cisco is not so important. Around here they all want security clearance anyway.

A smaller organization would be more likely to hire me, and I am thinking they are going to appreciate actual knowledge of core concepts versus the rote learning of a specific vendors equipment.

I believe I can get CompTIA Net+ without pre-requisites, which is another plus.

Thoughts please?

-------------------------------------------

TIP: If you ask a better question, you will get a better reply. Be specific so we can help!

Try talking to technical people - information interviews - at the NSA, the CIA, and the State Department. One of them likely needs you NOW!

Fred Wagner
(retired, but still involved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back