Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network a non network printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylebellamy

Programmer
Jan 24, 2002
US
This is going to sound odd but I wanted to help a neighbor to get her printer wirelessly connected to her laptop. She doesn't have a desktop anymore but just got fios and the wireless router.

Is there some sort of connection box that an go between the printer and the router that will make it a standalone printer on the network? Does that make any sense?

Thanks for your help!

Similar, wired, interfaces are available for both USB and parallel printers. If she doesn't mind locating the printer near her wiresell access point, she should still be able to print from anywhere with her laptop to that printer.

The industry seems to indicate that a person is required to have a wireless printer to print from a wireless connection. This is not at all true as long as there's physical ports available on the access point.

That might actually work better since her level of expertise is not particularly high and eliminating any unnecessary elements might be for the best.

Is that the sort of adapter I could pick up cheap at a Radio Shack or somewhere like that?

Here's a USB printserver from IOgear for $40, including shipping.

And a parallel printserver from netgear for $50 with free shipping...

Since parallel is older technology, they assume you're willing to pay more for it, because it is still cheaper than buying a new printer with a network interface built in. And for these prices, you might as well go wireless.

I hope someone tells me if this is considered advertising. I've not tried either product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back