Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear Problems with ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalie2

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2008
IE
Folks,

I have a home business connection with ISP, 1mb up & down and it works fine. I am using the PPOE client on my desktop going through a netgear 834 wpnt wireless/4 port ethernet firewall.

The problem I am having is that I need to click on the shortcut to ISP on my desktop everytime I startup the computer. I want the firewall to be able to do this for me so i can also connect wirelessly from my laptop as well. I have entered my username and password provided by ISP into the netgear basic settings page as well as IP address provided by ISP and have Open DNS servers in there to. It works until as soon as I reboot the pc and then it stops.

I have reset the firewall, put the latest firmware on it, contacted ISP and netgear and have not got any further. Anyone any ideas?

What type of connection is the ISP providing you?

Dan

Dan,

Its a wireless connection to the roof then ethernet to a Airspan terminal connector in my office in the house which in turn has another ethernet cable going to my WAN port on netgear router. I also have a static ip as well.

Goalie, sounds like a DSL connection... check to see if the router supports PPPoE logins. My netgear does, but I don't use it as I have a cable connection...
What this should do is essentially log in when the router is on, thus maintaining the "Always On" that is supposed to be the hallmark of broadband. It assumes the role of the login machine so that any other connected devices don't have to.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

cckens

I think it does as when I reapply the login details in the netgear router it will work for a day or so and then stop. Might be a dodgy router on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back