Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

boycey9

Programmer
Mar 28, 2006
GB
Hi Guys,

I looked at a netbook in a shop and saw the file structure is different to a standard pc, so my question is has anyone used a netbook for backups and also apps.
Also what about the hybrid netbooks are they any better?

Find that strange that a netbook file structure would be any different unless its something to do with a lot of netbooks used Windows 7 starter. Other then being really underpowered with atom processors they are still basically PC's. Are we talking about the same thing? In North America netbooks were small ( 10, 11 or 12 inch ) and cheap laptops that were all the rage a few years ago. They have pretty much disappeared to be replaced by ultra books and tablets.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

You may have hit the nail on the head loopylou, it was windows starter, my only experience was a quick play in the local pc world, When opening my computer I could not see a hard drive, so as long as its not windows starter and has a decent processor all should be ok.

I would think so. When doing backups you needs something that runs IE, supports java and can do FTP. Would think that would be the case on a netbook running XP or Windows 7 home or pro.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

I use a Acer Aspire One as my main site laptop, its a 10.1" netbook with an Intel Atom processor N550. It started life with Windows 7 Home and has since been upgraded to Pro and I have had no issues with either when programming Mitels.
10 hour battery life and weighs next to nothing, a tiny over should bag holds a cat5 cable and charger, so long as my eyesight lasts I won't go back to a bigger laptop.

Have you tried turning it off then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back