Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEon Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance1234

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
US
Im trying to do a neon sign in photoshop, anyone have any tips or tricks ? i have checked out quite a few tutorials from google but nothing really convincing has come up at all,

Chance,

Filmmaker, gentlemen and explorer

To get a good effect you'll need to copy the type layer many times, applying varying amounts of gaussian blur to the layers and changing their blending modes.

Choose a bright colour for the type and a dark background .Rasterize the type layer and then copy the layer. Apply a small amount of gaussian blur to some of the layers to make a tight glow around the tubes, and a larger blur on others to create a more diffuse glow. Use screen and colour dodge blending modes on the copied type layers. Keep experimenting till you get a result you like.

To create a larger glow around the finished tubes: Create a new layer and select the polygonal lasso tool. Set the feather amount on the tool bar to give a soft selection edge, and then click a rounded rectangle shape fairly closely around the type. Sample the colour from the type and fill the selection with that colour, then use gaussian blur to make it diffuse. Drag the layer below all of the type layers and reduce it's opacity. You might want to experiment with a coloured drop shadow as well to add depth.

That should do it. I would give you the alternative method that utilizes a bike chain, 2 pulleys and a car battery, but I'll save it for TTUK ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back