Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some advice.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfletch

MIS
May 3, 2000
US
Hey guys, need some advice here. I am trying to reconfigure a complete hub system. The way it is set up now is using all 10/100 3COM hubs. There is a firewall in place but for some reason is is passing thru a 10 base T hub connected to a router (both Cisco). First thing was to eliminate that 10 base T hub and connect it to the 3COM. Then I was going to either replace the hubs with switches (if $$$ allow me to) and then connect the DB Server, the Domain Server, and User Server, Firewall, and the individual switches into another switch. If I do so, there is no reason why I should uplink the switches is there? Wouldn't that cause more drag? If I cannont go with a switch system, I was going to purchase a single switch and hook up all the above items as well as each 3COM hub we presently have. Yet again, can't I plug in each up to the switch and not eachother creating 4 (in this case) collision domains instead of one? The network is a HOG now and I am in the planning stages and this is what I have come up with, any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Right now we are using 5 3COM 10/100 Hubs 24 port. Not bad hubs at all, but it is a ethernet backbone and all the hubs are connected as well as the servers and router are connected into a hub also. Let me know what you think. Thanks alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back