Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with IDE connections 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibpooh

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
US
I have Windows xp home and need help with IDE connection. I have tried to burn CD's on the fly and the computer tells me that I can't because both are on the same cable. There is one IDE cable that is connected to the CD ROM (master) and the CD/RW (slave) and is plugged into the IDE2 (secondary). And a second IDE cable connected from the hard drive to IDE1 (primary). If anyone knows how to connect the cables the right way it would be a great help to me. I have checked with others and was told several different ways to do this. Thanks so much!!
Totally lost

More of a hardware forum question really but here's my slant ;)

If your only using your CDR to burn and not read, and your burning on the fly then move your CDRW onto IDE1 with the hard drive and set it up as Slave. This will allow you to do on the fly and since the hard drive isn't being used it won't be slowed down.

Different ppl have different opinions on how it should be done, this is mine :)

GL.

Sorry about being in the wrong forum. This is all new to me. Thank you for your suggestion. I will give it a try and see how it works.
Lost

Alternatively, if you have the cd as a slave on the primary IDE and have the CDRW as a master on the secondary IDE, it will make life easier when copying from the HDD or on the fly from the cd.

Would that not cause a slowdown on transfer speeds ? if the device it is reading from and writing too are on the same IDE channel ?

It all has to go back to base before it gets to the destination.

I'm so confused!!! Isn't there one way to do this or should I just keep changing them until it works? I'm just to new at this, and don't want to mess things up.
Thanks,
Really lost

No, there is no "RIGHT" way but there are things that make the system work better, faster. If you have the burner on a different IDE cable than the source you will get better speeds.

IDE controller 1 - Master - Hard Drive
Slave - CDROM
IDE Controller 2 - Master - CD Burner
Slave - None

You may need to set the jumper on the burner to "Master" or possibly a "Stand alone" drive (since there is no slave on that controller).

THIS IS PROVEN TO WORK. I have changed several systems to this configuration, when I get complaints from people saying that the buffers are running out, while burning on the fly.

You should use the Burner as a reader (on a regular basis) for the maximum transfer speed to the HD.

Use the regular CDROM as the reader only when burning on the fly. (for best performance)

Thanks dgyde,
I change the configuration and so far no problems!!!
Thanks again!
pooh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back