Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting up my first vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deonroman

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
US
Ok. I will try to give as much info as possible. I am setting up a vpn for a small business. The currently are on a peer to peer network with about 10 computers running out Windows XP. They all share a internet connection using xp internet sharing through one of computers that is considered the internet "server". I am also currently using the window xp firewall to protect the network. The ISP is an ADSL connection with a static IP address in place. I want to setup to be able to vpn to the network from win 98 and win xp computers. I have tried before to setup a VPN prior to this, but have had problems connecting. So at this point I am starting from scratch.

I am willing to take any suggestion to get this up and running. Let me know if any other information is needed. Thanks.

Also I am trying to go use the win xp pro vpn software but if that doesn't work I would be willing to take suggestion on a different software or hardware solution.

you are not going to be able to use windows firewall connection if you want to use vpn. you must have port 1723 open to use vpn. if you want to use both get a small router. my advice would just be a 4 port linksys router and then open just 1723.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back