Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need comments on systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

den21

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
MY
I'm trying to get a new system and the specs are as follows:

Intel P4 3.0 HT(Hyper Threading)
256MB DDR PC2100
Asus P4PE-X,Intel 845PE chipset motherboard
80GB Maxtor HDD
56k-storm modem
52x24x52 Samsung CDRW
MSI 8878 64MB Geforce 4 mx440
17" Flatscreen monitor

Also i would like to know wheter is worth it to get hyper threading technology.

I just bought that same processor in a computer and it's working great for me.

I would make only two suggestions.

1. Up the RAM to 512MB, and if the board supports it -- which I'm certain it does -- use faster memory, at least PC2700. There is only a small difference in price.

2. If playing games is on your agenda, you might consider a better graphics card such as an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

Good luck with your new system.

I agree with IslandCustom's suggestions, but be aware that this board has special memory configurations regarding single-sided and double-sided DDR DIMMS, and that the supported memory frequencies depend on the CPU FSB speed.

To ensure compatibility before purchase, I suggest downloading the manual at:

Get a motherboard for Athlon xp3200 instead.
And a xp2500+ processor.
And use the difference of money to buy a radeon 9800 card.

SYAR2003
If only 9800's were so cheap!
And how do you know the system is intended for gaming? it seems pretty unlikely that den21 has any serious gaming intentions given his original graphics card choice.
I'm surprised that nobody has questioned den21's motherboard choice? although a solid performer in it's day, surely the much newer 865 or 875 chipset would be a much better partner to combine with a 3gig 800fsb P4 HT.
I have to agree that den21 should get PC2700 (DDR333)or even PC3200 (DDR400)given the price has now dropped to within a few $$$$$$'s of PC2100 and will give a better upgrade path.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

The P4 3.0 would rock the athlon. So if you have the cash and want the best get it. Also MSI is a great company. As said above get at least DDR400. You should see the difference between a P4 with dual channel DDR and an athlon. I love athlons but if I had the cash I would run a P4 3.0. Also for almost the same price get the FX5200. You don't really need a 9800xt. Unless you are REALLY into gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back