Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Servers to use HP TapeLoader 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCopa

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
GB
Hello.

I'm in the process of setting up a Backup server, with the aim of centralising all backup jobs on one server. I currently have a HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader connected up to an HP Proliant ML150. I have the BrightStor Backup for Windows 11.5 and Tape Library Option installed here, and have Windows Client and SQL Client (11.5) on another server.
I have made the Backup Server the prime domain, and added the 2nd server into this CA Backup Domain.
My question is, do I need anything else to enable all servers in Backup Domain to see the Tape Autoloader? I was told not, but am only able to get the remote servers to see their local tape drives.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sad but true with will only see their local attached tape drives. That is unless this is SAN attached, only with SAN attached can a library be sharred. Unless you have a library that can be configured as multiple virtual libraries at the hardware level, and that HP library is not one of them.

Thanks for the response David. So, it looks like we are stuffed! Local supplier has told me this would all be fine, so am now a little miffed.

Thanks again.

If you are building a Backup server, it is ok if ony it can see the library, all other servers will have an agent and send the data to the backup server that will manage the library and store all the data on tape, this is a common configuration if you do not have SAN.
All the servers do not need to see the library if the backup server is managing them
marino

Aha - Thanks for the post MarinoMel - You've put a smile on my face!
Is there a url you could point me to, with help on setting this up? Have had a look through the PDF's on BrightStor CD, but no joy.

Thanks again!!!

DJCopa,

What do you have set up so far? Are you backing up anything at all from your backup server?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Common sense is not so common anymore

Hello GSC.

At the moment, I have the HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader connected to an HP ProLiant ML150. This has Full version of BrightStor 11.5 Backup, and Tape Library Option installed. I have 2 servers with BAB 11.5 Client Agent installed.

I'm just after a guide to configuring this setup, ao all Backups are held on the Central Database on Backup Server, and stored on each of the 8 tapes in the TapeLoader.

Cheers.

I'm affraid you won't find one. You can get some general info on the web but so far I haven't found any guide.
Closest thing that I've found is a 382 page document:
Enjoy :)

Basically what you need to do is to click on the backup option and select what servers you want to be backed up, you will find this option under the source tab.
The local machine is already selected and for the remote servers you just need to right click on preferred shares/machines and add the machine you would like to backup.
Under your destination tab you probably only have group0.
Here you will find you tape library. Select the group0 here.
Now to the tricky part. As you have a tape library I would recommend that you use a rotation schema. 5 or 7 day is your option. Here you can select if you want to run a full backup all the time or if you want to run an incremental backup on Mon through Thu and a full on Fri. You can also select if you want to use a rotation with GFS enabled or not.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Common sense is not so common anymore

Cheers GSC.

As I've only backed up using designated tape drives before, still getting my head around the Tape AutoLoader option.
The way you have described it, it looks like all my servers will be backed up (configured at the Backup Server end) on the one job - Is this correct? Sorry if this is a stupid question - Am I correct in thinking that all jobs from all my servers will appended onto the tapes, as I cannot pick a specific tape for a specific job? All I'm thinking is how I'm going to have policy in place, that enables a restore to be done from any day of the week, from any server.

Hope this makes sense - Thanks again!

If you only have one job configured and all devices (local and remote) are configured to be backed up then:
- It is correct
With a GFS rotation enabled you can pick a specific tape for a specific job. That will also enable you to do a restore from any day of the week from any server.

Cheers,
GSC

Thanks GSC - You have been a massive help! I started the day being told it couldn't be done, and now have light at the end of the tunnel!

Cheers,

DJCopa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back