Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-Word DMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQ0105

Technical User
Jun 6, 2004
GB
Hi. I moved my CD-RW from one comp to another, and in the Device Manager, it shows that the CD-RW is operating on "Multi-Word DMA Mode 2", rather than "Ultra DMA Mode 2" (which is what it used to be on the other comp).

Is it the same thing or has something gone wrong? I know the cable is capable of UDMA133, and it definately works fine because the other device on that cable (a CD-ROM Drive) runs at Ultra DMA Mode 2...

Is this a problem or is it the same thing?

Oh, and the CD-RW was the Secondary Master on the other PC, and still is on this one. The CD-ROM is and always has been the Secondary Slave, so no settings have been changed...

Both Windows XP, the Drive's Settings haven't changed at all. The only difference is that before it was by itself on the Secondary Channel, and now it has a CD-ROM Device as its Slave.

Apart from that, the only thing that is different is the computer that it's in...

Any ideas?

Thanks, but I have already done that - it is set to "DMA is available" - and it running in DMA...just "Multi-word DMA" instead of "Ultra DMA Mode 2" (which my other CD-ROM is running at).

My Hard Drives are set to DMA also, and are running at Ultra DMA Mode 5, so I know DMA is working fine for my other drives, just not properly on my CD-RW.

Some things to try:

- The CD-RW by itself on the IDE cable
- Swap drive positions on the cable
- Swap master and slave assignments on the drives
- A different IDE cable

Ultra DMA mode 2 in the BIOS's IDE config for each device on the Secondary Channel....careful with the "User" option...
It "should be set to "Auto" for each IDE device but something is wrong

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back