Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSSQL Emulate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoyDelicious

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
What we'd like to do is use MySQL for Goldmine (FrontRange Solutions). Is there a way to emulate MSSQL on the mySQL box without using WINE or VMWARE. We're looking for a pure linux solution or at least a place to start looking. Thanks.

Soy

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're asking if there is any way to fool Goldmine into thinking that your MySQL box is a MSSQL box, the answer is "Almost certainly not".

If you're asking if you can run MSSQL on a non-Win32 OS using Wine or VMware, the answer is "Probably, but that's not a MySQL question. You'll have to ask it elsewhere."

If your question is "Are there CRM solutions out there that will run with a MySQL backend?", the answer is, "Probably. But I don't have the experience with the genre to recommend one."

If your question is, "Are there open-source CRM solutions that will run with a MySQL backend?", the answer is "A Google search of 'crm mysql' (without the quotes) returned a number of links, but I don't have the experience with the genre to recommend one."

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I don't know enough about your situation but my suggestion is don't look for a pure linux solution. Look for a solution that gets the business need met as quickly and cheaply as possible. Most probably this means rejecting Goldmine or using a vanilla MS SQL set up.

We have a box that we're doing testing on to see if it would work. We didn't want to use a VMware or WINE emulation because of the crappy preformance. What we'll end up doing is just playing with the ODBC drivers to connect Goldmine to MSSQL. Currently Goldmine is on a Samba share with the clients linking to it. Works well in default. Will let you know if we find anything else worth posting.

We already have a MSSQL/Goldmine solution in place we're just trying to see what we can get away with in linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back