Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Excel Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonS

MIS
Sep 7, 1999
US
Visit site
I have an Excel file that I was using and when I made some changes to it and tried to open it again I got an error message. &quot;The *****.xls file cannot be acessed, the file may be read only or you may be trying to acess a read only location, or the server the document is stored on may not be responding.&quot; Now I have this on a disk with some other files and they work just fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have seen this before with some other .XLS files but have just redone them. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get the file to open or what may cause it. It is not a read only file I have checked that. <br><br>Thanks

In my experience, this problem is generally caused by pulling the diskette out while the file is still open, network permission/file-release issues, emailed documents that are not closed when they are sent. Likely not a recoverable file. Sorry. <p> <br><a href=mailto: dreamboat@nni.com> dreamboat@nni.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

We too have discovered this problem, but our network was to blame. Novell would sometimes forget to release the file. But Logging off and rebooting would release the lock and we can open the file again.<br><br>Jim Nairn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back