Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITec

MIS
May 15, 2002
US
Thank you in advance incase I forget later.

My boss gave me a paper form and said to turn it into database.
Need to track the information for three weeks.

OS = Win 2000 and Win XP

I have created an Access database (access 2000)
One table
Fields = 15 Yes/No , One Auto number, Two Text, Three date time fields, one memo field

One query (all the fields)
One form vba to capture network login, date, time
Continuous Forms

On a shared network drive (Server is 2000 server)
1-30 users connected at one time
Database is not split (can if it will help)

File properties allow write but not modify.

Some reason unknown to me the database keeps locking up.

It seems to lock up when some leaves the form open and stops entering data.

Mean while it will not let anyone else enter data.

I would appreciate any help available on this.

Ritec

I haven't looked at the security on an Access DB in a long time so can only point in a direction, but sounds like you have some record locking going on. When a record is left up on a screen with update/write capability, it can prevent any other users from accessing the record. Check out the permissions that are assigned to your users. Hope this isn't too little too late.

Thank you for replying

Everyone does have update /write capabilities.

What I ended up doing that seem to work is created a database for each department and imported them to one large database.

I think this worked only because each department only had one or two people who entered into the database.

Thank you

David

Glad you have it resolved. One of the easiest lo-tech ways to resolve this is to train your users not to leave the screens open. If you scan in this forum for LDBView.exe, that is a program that will allow you to know who is in your data bases. Sometimes if you call them and say get out of such and such, they will think big brother is watching and be more careful about leaving screens open. I use it all the time, but I'm sure there are specific instructions available in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back