Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

move users off old server to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikpa

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2004
US
I am experiencing some problems with my exchange server hardware...nothing to do with exchange. I need to build another box and move users to the new box. Is there any good documentation on how to move users to the new box. I am still on exchange 5.5....pain. What will my challenges be. Is it as simple as moving the priv.edb and pub.edb?
Right now I have inherited the environment. I have two exchange servers. Both of them are identical but on one the priv.edb and pub.edb have been modified more recently while the other it has not been modified since last year. The one that has the recently modified priv and pub.edb files is the one that if the it goes down our email is down. I am wondering what the function of the other server is? Can I just switch the role of the two servers if I can figure out what the role of the other one is. The size of the pub.edb and priv.edb on both servers is not the same.
Your help will be very much appreciated
Ikpa

You can't switch priv and pub.edb between servers very easily - they are part of a full database setup, with transaction log files and so on. You'll need to know more about it before experimenting on such a grand scale. Why not start with the DR whitepaper, this explains the database structures quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back